Online tutoring is probably one of the most common online money making opportunity that you will find. It usually involves you teaching English to different students from all over the world.
One such opportunity is being offered by the PalFish app, which pays you to tutor students who want to learn English. As for earnings, it will really depend on how many students you can teach on this app.
But as an estimate, you can likely make $13 per hour. But is this a legit opportunity or just a scam?
You can also check out the step-by-step training that helps me earn over $10,000+ per month working from home.
The PalFish App is a Legitimate Opportunity So Far
PalFish is an online English tutoring app that is designed to help people practice their English. The app connects native English speakers to people who want to improve talking in English.
As a tutor, the app will pay you per 25 minutes of talking. Once you’ve earned enough money, you can withdraw via bank card or Payoneer.
Based on my initial impression of the app and what it promises to provide, I can say that it is a legitimate opportunity. PalFish delivers on its promise of providing online teaching opportunity to people like you.
So far, it pays on time and there doesn’t seem to be many problems when it comes to the app not paying or not sending the money.
Applying to be a tutor is simple, just download the app and fill out the required information to get access. Once you have access, you just need to complete your profile and other information, then you can start teaching.
As for earnings, I can see that you will likely start out earning $13 per hour with this app. As we move along, you will see why.
Who Uses the PalFish App?
The PalFish app is designed for two types of people, those who are looking to learn or improve their proficiency in English and those people like you who are good and fluent in speaking in English and are looking for ways to make some money.
For people looking to learn, PalFish provides them a great opportunity to improve their proficiency in the English language conveniently.
Since PalFish is an app, students can have a conversation with a tutor with just their smartphones. They won’t need to bring out their desktop or laptop to have the English lesson.
For people like you, PalFish provides an opportunity to make some money using your proficiency and mastery of the English language.
There’s no requirement for you to follow any lesson plan, though you can have one if you want, as most of the time the students just want to practice their English and ask for help with pronunciation.
PalFish also doesn’t have many requirements to apply, except being fluent in English. This makes it easier for you to apply and become one of their online tutors.
How Do You Earn with the PalFish App?
To make money on the PalFish app, you would need to become one of their online English tutors. Once you’re a tutor, you can start earning money per hour for talking with the students who want to learn English.
The first thing you need to do is to register, which you can do so on the app. The PalFish app is available for download from Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
Once you have downloaded the app, click register and enter your mobile number, where a verification code will be sent.
After inputting it, you will be taken to a page where you need to upload a profile picture, create a username, and generate a password. Once done, you can access the main hub of the app.
On the main hub, you will be required to complete your application before you can start teaching students.
You will need to have a text introduction, where you introduce yourself and the experience you have. It needs to be at least 100 words and includes your name, nationality, college, what you offer, and your experience.
You will also need to provide a text of your detailed experience within 32 letters. These text introductions showcase your proficiency in writing in English.
You will also need to have at least a 30-second introductory audio to showcase your proficiency in speaking the English language. Make sure that the recording is clear before saving it.
The company will take 2 days to process your application. After you’re accepted, the next step is to set your rate.
Research shows that the lowest rate you can set is at $5, while the highest would be at $50 per hour. The average rate per hour is at $13.
Though your rate will be per hour, PalFish pays per minute. If you don’t have any experience, the best way to get students is to have a low rate.
Then just raise it once you have more experience and your ratings are good. After setting up your rate, the next thing to set up is the schedule for your appointments.
The schedule just allows the students to know what time you are usually available, but you can log-in on the app anytime and talk to the students available.
Students can either set up appointments with you, based on the schedule you provide or ask permission to talk to you if you are online.
PalFish also has a referral program, where you can earn $3 for referring teachers and $1.50 for referring students to the program.
The company also has a PalFish official kids course, where you have a chance to earn more (about $25 per hour), but the requirements are more strict.
It’s not a requirement to be certified, but the company does prefer that. You also need to have experience in teaching kids.
It’s also preferred that you are a native English speaker from countries such as the U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. You should also have a neutral accent.
You do get a 200 yuan or about $30 bonus if a student joins after a trial tutoring session with you. You also get 200 yuan for referring teachers to the program and they pass the interview.
The company will only pay via bank card or Payoneer. For bank card, the recommendation is Chinese bank, so it’s best you go with the Payoneer option if you don’t have an account in a China bank.
Payment is sent within the 1st and 7th of the month. You will need to have at least 200 yuan or about $30 in your wallet before you can withdraw your income.
What I Like about the PalFish App
Now that we have more knowledge about the PalFish app and how it works, it is time to discuss what is good about it.
- The first thing that I liked about the PalFish app is that it doesn’t have a strict lesson plan that tutors must follow when it comes to teaching their students. You basically have the freedom to set up your own lesson plan when it comes to teaching the students. The tutoring session is more of just a chatting session, as a lot of the students just want someone to talk to practice their English and have someone correct them.
- I also like that the PalFish app doesn’t have a strict requirement when it comes to becoming an online tutor. They open their doors to people who don’t have a teaching certificate but is a native English speaker or those who speak fluent English.
- It’s also a good thing that it is pretty easy to apply. Since PalFish doesn’t really require certified teachers, the application process is simple and easy. You just need to have a text and audio introduction about yourself and what you can offer, as a way to test your English proficiency.
What I Disliked about the PalFish App
Of course, there are also things that I didn’t like about the app, which I’ll discuss here.
- The first thing that I didn’t like about the app is that it is a bit hard to find all of the information you need. The FAQs page doesn’t contain all the vital information about PalFish and it is actually poorly worded, making it hard to read at times. It didn’t mention there how to set up your per hour rate as a tutor, nor what the requirements are to be accepted.
- I also didn’t like that the PalFish app only pays your money via Payoneer or a bank card from a Chinese bank. Research shows that they used to offer PayPal payments, but they changed it Payoneer and bank card. This just adds to the process that you need to undergo to get into PalFish, as you would need to sign up to a Payoneer account first.
- It also seems like there are more teachers than students, which could be a problem since there could be competition between the teachers for students’ attention and business.
Do I Recommend the PalFish App?
After learning more about the PalFish app and what it offers, I can say that it is something I don’t really recommend.
The app doesn’t seem like it is done by a real professional, as a lot of the vital information needed like how to set up rate per hour or the requirements for applying are not clearly mentioned.
You might also have a hard time getting students as a beginner, especially if you don’t have a teaching certificate or don’t have any experience yet. The only chance you have is to offer lower per hour rates.
Research shows that the average earning of a tutor on PalFish is around $13 per hour, but I believe it is likely lower than that, especially if there are more teachers than students.
You can still check it out if you want, since it is free to do so, and you might get lucky with this opportunity. But I wouldn’t expect much with this app.