We all go shopping, shopping for clothes, grocery items, electronics, and so on. Regardless of where we shop, we are always given receipts by these stores.
The receipts act as proof of purchase and is usually an important document, especially when it comes to calculating what you need to pay in taxes.
But did you know that these receipts can also help you earn rewards? Yes, there’s an app that will allow you to earn some rewards with the shopping receipts that you have.
That app is called Receipt Hog, where they will pay you in coins for taking pictures of your receipt and uploading them on the app.
The coins you earn can be redeemed for various rewards, including cash. You just need to earn enough coins to be able to redeem for rewards.
The amount of money you can earn with this app, though, is not that high. You are likely to earn about $5 a month with this app. But is Receipt Hog really legit or just a scam to avoid?
You can also check out the step-by-step training that helps me earn over $10,000+ per month working from home.
Receipt Hog is a Legit App That Provides an Opportunity To Earn
Receipt Hog is an app that is designed to allow its you to earn some rewards just for uploading the receipts of the purchases you have made.
You will be paid in coins for each receipt you upload. The coins earned can be redeemed for various rewards, once you have reached the minimum requirement to cash out.
From what I’ve seen so far, I can say that Receipt Hog is a legitimate app. It does offer an opportunity to earn rewards just for uploading a picture of your shopping receipt on the app.
There are, however, a few complaints coming from members. The major complaints, though, seems to be coming from uploading receipts.
Some members say that the app constantly rejects the receipt even if it passes all of the requirements. Some say they didn’t get any rewards from the receipt they uploaded.
Then, there are also others who complained that sometimes Receipt Hog takes a while to process the receipts uploaded, which results in rewards being given 1 to 3 weeks after.
I’ll be discussing these complaints in more detail as we progress further in this review of Receipt Hog app.
Who Uses the Receipt Hog App?
The Receipt Hog app is designed to be used by two types of people with one being people like you who are looking for ways to earn some rewards with their mobile devices.
The other type are brands and businesses who are looking to learn more about people’s buying behavior and spending habits.
For brands and businesses, Receipt Hog is able to provide them with data and information about people’s spending habits and buying behavior.
The app uses the receipts uploaded to see how people make their purchases when they purchase, and how often they do it.
For people like you, the app provides an opportunity to earn rewards just for uploading receipts of items that you have purchased. You will be paid in coins for each receipt you upload, and the coins earned can be redeemed for various rewards.
To be a member, you just need to download the app at the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, which is free and register. You just need to be a U.S. or UK resident to be able to register.
In the next section, I’ll discuss in more detail the registration process, as well as how you can earn with Receipt Hog.
How Do You Earn with the Receipt Hog App?
Receipt Hog has one main way to earn rewards on the app, and that is by taking a picture of your shopping receipt and uploading it on the app.
You will be paid in coins for each receipt you upload and the coins you earn can be redeemed for various rewards. You just need to reach the minimum withdrawal requirement.
To begin, you need to download the app first. You can download it from the Receipt Hog website or you can directly go to the Play and App Store to download it for free.
After downloading, you need to register to become a member. You can choose to register via Facebook or your email. If you choose your email, you just need to add your birthday and gender.
After providing the necessary information, you just need to click ‘Request to Join’. Now, there might be a chance that your request to join could be turned down as there’s a lot of people using the app already.
If this happens, don’t worry, as you just need to try registering again. You will receive 50 coins just for signing up. If you are put on the waitlist, you have no choice but to wait for the app to contact you.
Now before you proceed to upload your receipts, you click the Rewards tab and take a look at the 3 offers they have to earn more coins.
First is the survey, where you need to answer some questions about your demographics. The survey will usually take 5 minutes to answer and it can earn you 30 coins.
Answering this questionnaire can potentially provide you with bonus surveys that will pop up occasionally for you to answer. This will be dependent, though, on your demographic.
The next reward will link your email account to the app. Doing this will allow you to earn rewards for the e-receipts sent to your email. You will get 100 coins for doing this.
Your email, though, should not be a Yahoo, iCloud, or AOL address.
The last reward is the Hog Household Bonus, where you can earn 40 coins if there’s a member of your household that has already signed up to the app.
He or she should also at least have completed the User Survey and have scanned at least 20 receipts. You just need to provide the app the email linked to their account then the app will send an invite they must accept.
Once the app confirms the shared household, you will get your bonus coins. After completing the rewards, you can now start uploading your receipts to earn coins.
Now, the Receipt Hog app rewards you in three ways when you upload receipts. You can be rewarded with coins or spins at the Hog Slots for a chance to win more coins or a trip to go on a vacation.
You can also get rewarded with an entry into their monthly Sweepstakes draw for a chance to win more coins. You can win up to 5,000 coins if you are lucky enough.
To earn coins, you need to upload receipts of purchases from grocers and supermarkets, super centers, Drug & Pharmacy, corner shops and convenience stores, Cash and Carry, and more.
To earn spins, you need to upload receipts of purchases from apparel, auto part retailers, home improvement, home furnishings, office supplies and more.
Lastly, if you want to earn sweepstakes entries, you need to upload receipts from purchases of gas, from restaurants and bars, and receipts from deli, cafes, and bakeries.
The app, though, doesn’t accept all receipts, as there are some that won’t qualify you to earn anything. The unaccepted receipts include hand-written ones, those older than 14 days, ticket stubs, and others.
For a complete list of receipts that are accepted and not accepted, you check out their FAQs page in their link.
To upload, you need to allow the app to access your camera in order to take pictures of the receipt. It’s important that the store name, transaction amount, items purchased, and transaction date are visible.
The transaction date of the receipt must also not be older than 14 days and the pictures should not be blurred. The number of coins you can earn will depend on the value of the receipt.
Here’s the app’s breakdown of how many coins you can earn per receipt value:
- Less than $10 or £10 = 5 coins
- $10 – $50 or £10 – £50 = 10 coins
- $50+ – $100 or £50+ – £100 = 15 coins
- $100+ or £100+ = 20 coins
Receipt Hog, though, has a cap of only 100 coins per week. If you reach that, any receipt you upload, regardless of their value, will only earn 5 coins.
So what can you do with the coins you earn? You can redeem it for cash via PayPal, an Amazon gift card, or a MasterCard / VISA e-gift card.
You just need 1,000 coins to be able to redeem for rewards. If you live in the U.S., 1,000 coins = $5, while the 1,000 coins for UK residents equal to £3 Amazon gift card. You need 1,500 coins to redeem for £5 cash. You can expect your reward within 7 days.
As mentioned above, there have been complaints about Receipt Hog, particularly about uploading the receipt and with the reward payments for uploading them.
There are people who complained that the app rejects a lot of valid receipts or that the rewards they received are not what the app stated.
Since the complainants are not that many, I can say that this is likely just some isolated cases. However, it is also important that you read the FAQs page thoroughly, especially the ones about uploading receipts.
Take note of the kinds of receipts that Receipt Hog will consider valid or not. Also make sure that the photo of your receipt is not blurred, as the app won’t accept blurred pictures.
What I Liked about Receipt Hog
Now that we know more about Receipt Hog and what they are offering, it’s time to discuss what I liked about this opportunity.
- The first thing that I liked about Receipt Hog is that it offers people options when it comes to redeeming the coins they earned. They can choose to redeem it for cash via PayPal or MasterCard/VISA e-gift card or for Amazon gift card. This is great since there are people who like to get Amazon gift cards, while there are also others who prefer cash. It’s also good that the cash option has PayPal or MasterCard / VISA e-gift cards.
- I also like the fact that Receipt Hog doesn’t really require you to do anything different or special in order to earn. You just need to take photos of the receipts of your purchase and upload it on the app to earn rewards. This will basically take just a few minutes of your time.
- It’s also good that it is simple to be a member of Receipt Hog and it is free to join. This is good since you don’t have to worry about filling out a long application form or shelling out money to be a member.
What I Disliked about Receipt Hog
As appealing as Receipt Hog is, there are also things that I didn’t really like about this opportunity.
- The first thing that I didn’t like about Receipt Hog is that there’s usually a wait list when it comes to the membership. Though some people say that trying to register again can usually result in you becoming a member, some still experience being put into a waitlist. It’s unfortunate that membership is limited.
- Another thing that I didn’t like about Receipt Hog is that not all the receipts you upload can earn you coins. Some of the receipts will only earn you spins or sweepstakes entry. This somehow lowers your ability to earn coins since not all of the receipts you get can be converted to coins.
- It’s an issue for me that there have been complaints from members that uploading receipts to the app can sometimes be a problem. There are also some issues with the rewards that the app gives. Hopefully, these are just isolated cases and the app can fix it without much issue for it’s members.
- I also didn’t like that Receipt Hog is only available to U.S. and UK residents. But with the site already waitlisting a lot of new members, it would probably be better if they can increase their opportunities first before expanding.
Do I Recommend Receipt Hog?
After learning more about Receipt Hog and what it can bring to the table, I can say that it is an opportunity that is worth checking out.
Though the app has some downsides, particularly with new members being put on waitlisted status first and the difficulty, at times, of uploading the receipts, the upsides are hard to ignore.
I like the fact that you don’t really have to do anything special to earn here, expect to spend a few minutes taking pictures and uploading your receipts to the app.
But when you do check out this app, just remember not to expect too much from it, especially when it comes to its earning potential.
You can really only expect to earn $5 a month with this app. It’s possible to earn more, but that will require more effort on your part.
So if your goal is to look for an opportunity to get rich, then Receipt Hog is not for you. But if you are looking for an app that can help you earn some side income, you could check this opportunity out.
- DoorDash App Delivery Review
- Stash App Store Review
- Rodan And Fields Products Review
- Acorns Review
- Ebates Credit Card Review
Latest posts by Frank (see all)
- Super Affiliate Machine: Is it Legit Or A Scam? We Review It - November 4, 2020
- 5 Financial Metrics to Keep your Business on Track as the World Emerges from COVID-19 - September 15, 2020
- A Complete Guide to Using Technical Indicators to Trade Cryptocurrencies - July 8, 2020