When it comes to online opportunity, being a transcriber is one of the most common ones. One website that offers that kind of opportunity is TranscribeMe, where it pays you for doing transcription work.
But is this a legit opportunity that really pays or is it a scam? Let’s find out in this review of the website. Before we begin, let us first discuss what TranscribeMe is.
You can also check out the step-by-step training that helps me earn over $10,000+ per month working from home.
What is TranscribeMe?
TranscribeMe is a website that is designed to pay you for doing transcription work. But you are not required to transcribe the whole file, as it will be split into portions and divided among the members.
You won’t be paid per completed work, but per audio hour and you will be paid in your TranscribeMe account. The money can be withdrawn to your PayPal account.
The portion you need to transcribe will vary in time, as some will be as short as 10 seconds, while others will be as long as 1 minute.
The company believes that doing short transcription work instead of a long one is easier and faster to do. This also makes it more flexible for you to work on the transcription work.
Once all the pieces have been transcribed, TranscribeMe will join them together and pass it through a Quality Assurance stage. Once the entire process is complete and is approved, it will be sent to the client.
To begin working, you will just need to register, attend their training course and pass the exam. Once you pass, you can start working.
- How This Crazy Experiment Turned Into $10,000 Per Month Income
- 43 Legitimate Ways To Make Money From Home – Guaranteed
Who Uses TranscribeMe?
The TranscribeMe website is used by two groups, the first ones are people and/or companies who have transcription work to be completed and are looking for fast and accurate turnarounds.
The company offers a variety of transcription services, including medical transcriptions, translating their transcriptions to localize content, turning qualitative audio into quantitative text, and more.
TranscribeMe promises a fast turnaround of their work (depending on the length of the file to be transcribed), with the longest being delivered after more than 5 business days.
They also offer a rush 1 business day turnaround for transcription work with a length of 70 minutes or less, as long as the file is of high quality.
TranscribeMe has an array of transcribers to work with, to allow them to provide a fast turn around and their QA team assures the quality of the work.
The other group is people like you who want to make money online. TranscribeMe offers a good opportunity to make some money doing transcription work.
The difference here is that you won’t be working on lengthy transcriptions, as the company splits them up in shorter lengths to make it more manageable and easier to do.
Payments for your work will be sent to your TranscribeMe account then you can withdraw your money via PayPal. To be a transcriber, you just need to apply, attend training, and pass their final exam.
How You Make Money from TranscribeMe?
As mentioned above, you earn money from TranscribeMe by doing transcription work. You will be paid for every audio hour you complete.
This doesn’t mean that you get paid per hour, it means that you will be paid for transcribing one hour worth of audio. This type of payment method is due to the unique system TranscribeMe implements.
The transcription work here is a bit different in the sense that you won’t be working on lengthy audio files. You will instead be transcribing shorter ones.
TranscribeMe will usually split the audio file, on the average, between 10 seconds and 1 minute. With this length, you won’t have a hard time transcribing a file and will likely finish quicker.
The shorter audio file also means that you’ll have more flexibility with the time you need to spend on TranscribeMe and the amount of work you can do in a day.
You won’t be required to work a minimum number of hours a day, nor a minimum number of files to transcribe. You work the hour you want and when you want.
The starting pay for completing an hour of audio is $20, which the company sends to your TranscribeMe account. You can withdraw your money via PayPal weekly. The minimum payout usually changes, depending on the company.
You can earn more if you have a Legal or Medical background. Having special skills like knowing a different language will also allow you to earn more in TranscribeMe.
TranscribeMe also provides you with growth and learning opportunities, as there’s a possibility for you to move up within the company and earn more money.
It is important to note that TranscribeMe has a minimum quality requirement of 98%, which means for a 100-word transcription, only 2 corrections are allowed, including spelling and grammar.
If you don’t meet the minimum requirement, your work won’t be approved and you won’t get paid for it.
Anybody can join TranscribeMe and you won’t need any prior experience to become a transcriber. It is also free to do so, as you will just need to fill out an application form.
Once you’re done there will be a short training video about how to navigate the website and how the application process works.
You will then need to take a short English Entrance Exam that you need to complete in 5 minutes. Once you pass, TranscribeMe will contact you within 12 business days to begin your job as a transcriber.
The requirements you will need to be a member is to have a PayPal account and be fluent in English, as most audio files are in English.
You will also need to have a reliable computer with high-speed internet. You will need a good headphone to hear the audio file well and you must use the Google Chrome web browser.
Once you have completed the application process and pass the exam, you can start working.
It is important to remember that work is not guaranteed on a daily basis, as this is reliant on the amount of transcription work the company has.
What I Liked about TranscribeMe
Now that we have an idea of what TranscribeMe is and how it works, it is time to discuss the things that I liked about the website.
- The first thing that I liked about TranscribeMe is that the transcription work you need to work on is not that long. Transcribing is a hard and grueling work, especially if the length of the audio you need to transcribe is long. Since TranscribeMe splits a long audio into several short audios, this makes it easier and more manageable to transcribe.
- I also like the fact that TranscribeMe pays in cash and not in points or credit. This ensures that you will be paid in money and not some virtual currency that you will need to redeem for gift cards or cash.
- It’s also good that TranscribeMe doesn’t have a required number of hours that you need to work. You do need to complete an hour’s worth of audio file before you get paid, but that can be done easily, since audio files are shorter, making it quicker for you to transcribe.
- There’s a chance for growth, which is a good thing. This will provide you with more opportunity to do well so you can move up and earn more money in the process.
- It is free to join and there’s also some training provided, which is also free. You won’t have to worry about paying for any registration or membership fees.
What I Disliked about TranscribeMe
Of course, there are also things that I didn’t like about the TranscribeMe opportunity, which will be discussed here.
- Probably one of the main things that I don’t like about TranscribeMe is that the work you get is not guaranteed. It is based on the amount of transcription work the company is getting, if there isn’t a lot coming in, then you won’t get a lot of work as well. This could hinder your chance of making more money and doing the work full-time.
- I also don’t like the fact that you won’t be paid until you complete an hours work of audio. My issue here is that since work is not guaranteed, there’s a possibility it might take a while for you to reach one hour worth of audio, thus also delaying the income that you could have made.
Is TranscribeMe a Legit Opportunity or a Scam?
From what I see and experience, I can say that TranscribeMe is a legitimate earning opportunity that will really pay you, as long as you’re able to transcribe one hour worth of audio file.
The money will be sent to your TranscribeMe account and you can withdraw it at the end of the week to your PayPal account.
The minimum threshold for withdrawing is not mentioned on the company’s website, but some say its $10, others say its $20. It can change, though, without prior notice.
Do I Recommend TranscribeMe?
Yes, I recommend TranscribeMe, if your goal is only to earn extra income and supplement your main source. I will also recommend this to you if you are someone who is a bit of a perfectionist and has a keen attention to detail.
Transcription work is not something that everyone can do, you will need to have clear hearing, and have exceptional attention to detail.
This requirement is especially important in TranscribeMe where they require your work to be at least 98% accurate and error free.
If your goal is to get rich, or transcribing is not something you’re comfortable doing, then TranscribeMe is not the opportunity for you.