It is not easy to build a website, it takes time and money to do so. Once it’s done, there’s still the risk that it might not work properly or people won’t be able to use it properly.
This is the motivation for the UserTesting website, where it will pay you to test out websites and see if they are working correctly and if it is easy to navigate.
But is this a legit earning opportunity that will really pay you or is it just another scam? Let’s find out in this review of the website. Before we begin, let us first discuss what UserTesting is.
You can also check out the step-by-step training that helps me earn over $10,000+ per month working from home.
What is UserTesting?
UserTesting is a platform that is designed to help businesses and developers perfect the websites and apps they created and remove the bad user experience.
The company will get people like you to test an app or a website to identify what is wrong with it. You will be paid for each test that you complete and the payments are sent after 7 days.
UserTesting wants to save money for businesses and developers by helping to identify what is wrong with their apps or websites. This is so that when they launch it, there won’t be any more bugs or problems with it.
As a tester, you will need to own several devices, like an iOS or Android phone, and a PC or a Mac. To be a tester it’s simple, you will just need to fill out an application form to provide details and pass a sample test.
Who Uses UserTesting?
The UserTesting website is used by two groups, people like you who are looking for ways to make money online, and the businesses or developers who are looking to have their apps or websites tested before they launch it.
For businesses and developers, UserTesting provides an opportunity for them to have their websites and apps tested by real and random people to have them identify if the website is user-friendly or not.
This ensures that the website or app they are launching will be cleared of any issues and is already designed to be user-friendly for people.
Using UserTesting, instead of having a focus group discussion, also means that the people who are testing it will be using their own devices and internet connection.
This makes the results more realistic and comes from real-world scenarios instead of a controlled environment. For people like you, UserTesting provides an opportunity to make money for doing something simple.
You will basically just be using an app or a website for a period of time, narrate what you are experiencing, and answer some questions.
The test won’t usually take a long time, and the pay you get will also relate to how much time and effort you’ll take to do the test.
The longer the test, the higher your payment will be. It is also simple to be a tester, you just need to complete your profile and pass a sample test, then you are all set.
How You Earn Money From UserTesting?
As mentioned above, you make money from UserTesting by trying out websites or apps and identifying any problems or issues with it and relaying your experience in using it. You get paid for each test you complete.
The test will usually have a 20-minute recording where you will be narrating your experience using the app or the website.
You’ll basically just be describing what you are doing on the app or website, for example you’re clicking the About page but it didn’t work or you tried subscribing and it bought you to a different page instead.
You can even say that you’re having a hard time locating certain pages, or the website is too messy and cluttered, and so on. After the recording, there will be follow-up written questions that you’ll need to answer.
Once you are done, you will be paid 7 days after the completion via PayPal. The pay is usually $10, but there are shorter tests that will pay you only $3 and longer tests that will pay you more.
There will be cases where the client won’t be satisfied with the test and will ask for a refund. In this instance, you won’t get paid for completing the test. UserTesting assures, though, that this rarely happens.
The UserTesting website is available to everyone who is living in countries that accept PayPal payments.
To become a tester, you would just need to fill out an application form and provide some demographic information. You will also need to pass a sample test.
Once you passed, you will start receiving email notifications about testing opportunities. Take note, though, that grabbing the testing opportunity is first come first serve.
So you better be quick to grab an opportunity before someone gets it. Some tests will still require you to go through a screener, which consists of answering 2 to 5 questions to see if you qualify for the test.
If you qualify, you can proceed with the test. But if you don’t, then the test will be given to someone else.
What I Liked About UserTesting
Now that we know what UserTesting is and how it works, it is time to discuss the things that I liked about the website.
- Probably the best thing that I liked about UserTesting is that they will pay you directly for completing the test. Sure, you have to wait exactly 7 days before you get your money, but they will pay it directly to your PayPal account and not to your account on the website. In this way, you will get your money directly and don’t have to worry about withdrawing it or waiting to reach the minimum withdrawal amount.
- The potential income is high, as most tests will pay you $10 for completing it. You will also only need to spend about 20 to 30 minutes per test to earn that $10, so you can earn $20 or more per hour. If you play your cards right and be alert when a new test comes in, you’ll be able to earn a decent amount of money here.
- You won’t need to spend a lot of time taking the screener test, as you only need to answer 2 to 5 questions. This is a big plus for websites like this because some survey or testing websites will give you a screener test that will last for 15 minutes, and then at the end, you will find out you are not qualified. So a shorter screener test is a big plus.
- It is free to join, as UserTesting doesn’t have any registration fee or monthly membership fee. You will just need to fill out the application form, pass a sample test and you can start taking the tests found on the website.
What I Didn’t Like about UserTesting
There are also things that I didn’t like about UserTesting, which I’ll be discussing here.
- I don’t like the fact that the tests available are first come first serve. You have to be very quick when it comes to accepting the test because if you are not, someone else might grab it before you and you lose your chance to make money.
- Despite the high-income potential, the best thing you can do with UserTesting is for it to be just another source of income and not your main income. Though the website pays high, the fact that you have to compete with other members for the test makes it harder to earn more money. You are likely to make about $50 to $150 a month here and it can even stretch to $200 or $300 if you are lucky and quick enough.
- It will only pay via PayPal, so this limits your choice of mode of payment. This also means that if you live in a country where PayPal is not supported, you won’t be able to join UserTesting.
- You are rated for the tests you completed and your ratings can also affect your income potential. If you get a bad rating, your chances of getting invites to test will decrease, so there will be less tests for you to do.
Is UserTesting a Scam or is it Legit?
From what I saw and experienced about the UserTesting, I can say that it is not a scam, but a legitimate earning opportunity.
Once you get accepted to a test and complete it, you will get paid directly to your PayPal account. Though you have to wait 7 days, the company keeps its promise and they have yet to miss their mark.
UserTesting has also been in business since 2007, that’s 11 years. So you know this website is not just some fly-by-night opportunity that will scam you for details and leave within a year or two.
The company’s longevity shows that it is doing something right with its business model to allow it to last this long.
Do I Recommend UserTesting?
Yes, I recommend this website, especially if your goal is just to make extra money online and support your main source of income.
The reason for this is that the website offers flexibility, as you have the freedom on when you want to take the tests. The tests aren’t also that long, so you won’t spend a lot of time trying to complete one.
If your goal is to replace your day job or get rich, UserTesting won’t help you with that. Since there are more members than tests available, it is becoming harder to get accepted for a test.
You have to be real quick and almost monitor the website 24/7 to be one of the firsts to accept a test when a new one comes in. With this problem in mind, you can likely expect to earn $50 to $150 a month.
That income is not considered a full-time income. If that’s your goal, you’re better off looking for other opportunities.